Last night Adam made a delicious dinner and just when I opened the door after a long 12 hour shift, he was placing the BBQ Chicken on the table. The condo smelled delicious, the table was all set, the water was poured, the veggies on my plate. It was such a treat to come home and have him provide for me like this. It was something that tugged on my heart and made me so thankful to have him as a husband. It was a way to love me in the way I need to be loved. We watched JD's sermon on sunday night (we slept in sunday morning) about Self Centeredness and how it relates to marriage and relationships. It was quite eye-opening for each of us as JD called us out on how selfish marriage can become, and yet how selfless we need to be. Jesus didn't choose to not show grace when his disciples chose to betray him, he chose to wash their feet at dinner, the day before he was crucified. What a picture of grace and of forgiveness and of selflessness, even before the disciples offense.
JD correlated this story to how we love others and how we should be loving others on THEIR needs for love. Since Adam and I are so different in both the way we love and the way we accept love, it has been something we are beginning to learn. Adam needs love in gifts and service and physical touch (duh, he's a guy) but for me, I need encouraging words and service. Adam served me tonight and I truly felt his love and his desire to please me. He loved me in a way I appreciate, therefore it means so much more. I know this will be something we will learn and grow and be working on for years to come. Loving others is never a passive thing, it takes work and sacrifice and a lot of grace. However, when we realize how much the Lord has shown us these very things, it makes any love action on earth that much easier.
Thanks for loving me well, Adam. Dinner last night was a beautiful thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment